Definition: Empath ~ a person or animal who physically, emotionally, and intuitively feels the emotions, pains, and joys of the people, creatures, and environment around them.
Upside of being an empath: Using the gift of intuitive feeling that comes from unconscious body sensation to anticipate and manage needs of self and others in positive, meaningful ways
Downside of being an empath: getting lost and confused unable to separate what are their own feelings from the feelings of others around them at home, at work, and in the environment.
40 Habits ALL Empaths Share:
- 1. Empaths know what they know without knowing how they know it.
- 2. Empaths act on what they know they know intuitively
- 3. Trained empaths choose strategies based on understanding what their physical body tells them is about to happen so they can better control their own responses in a healthy way with a more positive, healthy outcome.
- 4. Empaths experience intensified reactions to smells, sounds, touch, light, tastes
- 5. Empaths often feel like they are the only ones in the world who are “cursed” with feeling ALL they feel
- 6. Untrained empathic children often create rich inner worlds and seem disconnected from the real world. This is how they protect themselves from the stress they feel from the adults in their lives.
- 7. Trained empathic children know how to integrate their rich inner fantasy world with their real life
- 8. Untrained empaths are often exhausted by being around others in stressful situations
- 9. Trained empaths are excited being part of a group of like-minded empowered people
- 10. Empaths are often creative thinkers with an imaginative flair, artistic abilities, able to reproduce their feelings through words, thought, deed, or art touching the souls of the people who see, work with, or buy their creations.
- 11. Empaths feel physical sensations in their bodies and emotion in their minds which precede intellectual meaning being formed
- 12. Empaths anticipate love and conflict using intuitive body talk (butterflies in stomach, pain the neck or elsewhere, tightness in throat, shoulders, etc.) unique to themselves
- 13. Empaths can “feel” future events as a sense of anticipation or dread ‘knowing’ without really knowing that something is going to happen
- 14. Untrained empaths often feel overwhelmed and chaotic unable to control the flood of incoming emotions from their environment – home, work, TV, news shows, movies, road rage, the Mall, large groups of people, etc.
- 15. Empaths are frequently misdiagnosed with mental disorders and conditions because it’s difficult to diagnose body talk sensations coming from others.
- 16. Empaths who know how to use their gifts are the most emotionally stable and responsible go-to people in their communities.
- 17. Empaths suffer more from stress overwhelm and illness than others
- 18. Trained empaths successfully manage their own stress in ways that positively and unconsciously reduce the stress environment for themselves and for everyone around them
- 19. Trained empaths deflect and return negative stress coming from others
- 20. Empaths either hide from others choosing to protectively isolate themselves, or on the flip-side become the cheerleaders, leaders (positive and negative) that use their ability to influence (psychically ‘nudge’) others into doing their will (salespeople, politicians, world leaders)
- 21. Trained empaths understand how, why, and when to use their ability to energetically influence others
- 22. Empaths experience illnesses which defy diagnosis
- 23. Trained empaths do not take in energetic vibrations of others that mimic illness in their own body
- Empaths are natural protectionists – building emotional walls to isolate themselves from incoming negative, hostile, unhealthy, needy energies
- 24. Trained empaths are able to live fully functioning lives in the real world, doing meaningful work and fulfilling their life purpose
- 25. Untrained empaths become introverts and hermits to block confusing and overwhelming emotions incoming from others
- 26. Trained empaths become leaders and healers creating better lives for themselves and others
- 27. Untrained empaths attract narcissists and abusers
- 28. Trained empaths know how to set physical and emotional boundaries for respect that build strong, loving, mutually supportive relationships with life partners
- 29. All empaths build strong relationships; positive, negative, co-dependent, nurturing by using their intuitive skills of “reading” others’ needs, wants, and desires
- 30. Empaths are excellent doctors, natural healers, alternative medicine providers, emergency service workers such as ambulance personnel, first responders, firefighters
- 31. Empaths are lawyers, accountants, and teachers
- 32. Empaths attract bullies
- 33. Negative Empaths become powerful bullies
- 34. Empaths anticipate bullies and try to protect others
- 35. Trained empaths read the need in bullies and intuitively ‘know’ how to manage them and protect others
- 36. Untrained empaths suffer in silence, martyrdom, physical and emotional illness
- 37. Empaths feel the excitement in the air
- 38. Empaths feel the fear radiating from others as if it changes the air quality in some way, or is a different than usual heartbeat, or is a taste in their mouth, or makes their skin crawl.
- 40. Trained empaths consciously recognize physical sensation, as early warning signals something is about to happen and then sort out where those feelings are coming from, and finally consciously choose how they will manage that incoming needy, hostile, fearful energy in a healthy, supportive way